5.31.2007

if i had the money...

i'd go out and get some pinball machines. just a few ;) ya see, i grew up playing skeeball, pinball, and 80's video games at Celebrity Sports Center and watching movies at the Cooper theater, just down the street...did anyone else see Star Wars there in the summer of '77?

lately, i've been lurking in eBay, looking for cool pinball machines. just something to do.



recently, i came across one machine that i played quite alot in the late 70's...a very difficult machine called "Gorgar". i distinctly remember a slightly james earl jones-esque voice that would occasionally say "I AM GORGAR" or "GORGAR WILL EAT YOU" lol or sumpin' like that. it's not that i have fond memories of the voice...perhaps i was traumatized by it ;) mebbe it was the striking frazetta-like artwork (although not as good). i just always remember the redness of gorgar. who knows. maybe i just followed my brother, who probably played it because of the scantily clad female laid down at the altar in front of good ol' gorgie.

i'm just a sucker for cool artwork, bright colors, and flashing lights. it's all about sensory overload, eh? it's a good thing i don't drop acid...stay tuned though, i may blog about some other machines. btw, Gorgar was the first pinball machine with a voice...a whole seven word vocabulary...more than our prez!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Cindi and I saw Star Wars at the Cooper on opening night.

I only went to Celebrity a couple of times, mostly for bowling butI remember it was fun. Wasn't it near the Yum Yum Tree?

Candy said...

I don't know where the Cooper is, but I did see Star Wars in it's opening weekend when visiting family in Arizona. I was 15, I guess. It wasn't released in NJ (home state) until months later and I had huge props for having already seen it. Oh...and for bringing home PopRocks.

Laura said...

yes, yes--I saw it at the Cooper too!
And I STILL have dreams about Celebrity too!