5.13.2007

happy...

mother's day to all those out there w/ rugrats. it's time for the hubby/SO to show appreciation in kind by giving you a day, er, week, off!

a couple weeks ago, ellenn degeneress was interviewing a lady who had submitted her favorite mother's day moment. i wish i could find the video snippet online but no one has had the foresight to post it...so you'll just have to read it instead. the following dialogue is the guest's recalling of her story:

So, we had this great 10 year old cat named Jack who just recently died. Jack was a great cat and the kids would carry him around and sit on him...nothing ever bothered him. He used to hang out and nap all day long on this mat in our bathroom.

Well, we have three kids and at the time of this story they were 4 years old, 3 years old and 1 year old. The middle one is Eli. Eli really loves chapstick. LOVES IT. He constantly asked to use my chapstick and then would always lose it. So, one day, I finally showed him where in the bathroom I keep my chapstick and how he could use it whenever he wanted to...but he needed to put it right back in the drawer when he was finished.

Last year on Mother's Day, we were rushing around, with everyone crying and carrying on, trying to get ready for church. My two boys were fighting over cereal box toy, while I was trying to nurse my little one and apply my make-up at the same time. Everything was a mess and everyone had long forgotten about that wonderful day to honor both me and motherhood.

We finally loaded the eldest and baby in the car and I went looking for Eli. I had searched everywhere before ending up in the bathroom. And there was Eli. He was very carefully applying my chapstick to Jack's...REAR END. Eli peered right into my eyes and said, "Chapped." Now if you have a cat, you know that he is right--their little butts do look pretty chapped. And, frankly, Jack didn't seem to mind.

Now, the only question to really ask at that point was whether it was the first time Eli had done that to the cat's behind or the HUNDREDTH...

And THAT is my favorite Mother's Day moment because it reminds us that no matter how hard we try to civilize these glorious little creatures, there will always be that day when you realize they've been using your chapstick on the cat's butt.


so...if you share a house w/ young children and feline companions, it may be high time to spring clean yer lip balm collection!

pucker up!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw that show - so funny! And how weird that it was from the "worm" htlady!