10.01.2007

China...



remember when i was talking about wanting to go to china? well, in 20 days, that is what i'll be doing!!! my eldest sister, shirley, and i are accompanying our mom back to guangzhou for her 60th(!) high school reunion! unfortunately, we'll only be able to go for a couple weeks while mom is going to stay for another ten days. so we've got to make the most of the roughly ten days we have with her (since the reunion is a three-day affair).

it'll be an eye opener for all of us; we've never been and mom hasn't been back since january 1948 although she, dad, and shirley went to hong kong in 1961. open the below map and look for taishan in the bottom left hand corner, guangzhou near the top left, and hong kong near the bottom right corner. this is the area from which my parents came. my father was born and raised in a tai shan village while mom is from guangzhou (although she didn't go to school there) and hong kong will be our starting point. i have so much research to do...but that's a good thing ;)



from what my mom tells me, of the 140 or so in her graduating class, fewer than 30 are still alive. this is gonna be one emotional gathering...

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm so jealous! Scott and I are both hoping to make a trip to Japan and China the next time we travel internationally. Too bad it won't be in just a few weeks for us :)

J Alan Erwine said...

I'm jealous too! Just last month, several SF writers were in China, and I was reading their blogs and getting green with envy...now you're doing it to me...

cb said...

Wow! That sounds like a wonderful trip. Take lots of pictures!